Bicycle Accidents

You are here: Home » Personal Injury » Bicycle Accidents

Bicycles are a hybrid of pedestrian and vehicle law and the same goes to the insurance coverage that may provide valauable benefits. First, personal injury protection coverage (PIP), that you hear so much about the 14 day rule, may provide coverage if you are injured by an automobile regardless if the bicycle accident is your fault.  You must seek medical assistance within 14 days of the accident or you may lose valuable benefits.  If you own a vehicle with this coverage you can seek benefits from your automobile insurance carrier.  If you do not own a vehicle and live with a resident relative you may be able to claim benefits under that policy of insurance.  Now, if you do not own a vehicle and do not live with a resident relative you can file a claim for PIP benefits under the automobile driver’s policy of insurance.  PIP benefits are for medical and lost wages so a bodily injury (BI) or pain and suffering claim will have to be made against the at-fault driver’s insurance.  If BI insurance is not available then you can seek coverage under a UM policy of insurance.

The next insurance that may provide you coverage is uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance.  This is coverage purchased by you or a family member, if you are living in their household that may provide insurance in the event the driver did not have BI coverage or only carried minimal BI policy limits.  UM insurance is best if it is stacked UM coverage.  Stacked coverage multiplies the number of vehicles on the policy by the amount of insurance.  So if you have a $100,000 policy, elect stacked UM coverage, and have three vehicles, the potential UM coverage is $300,000.

If you or a family member are ever involved in a bicycle v. automobile accident look to your auto insurance for potential insurance coverage.  Available insurance and the facts of the accident will determine what coverage will be available and without knowing the facts it is hard to determine so please contact an attorney to review the facts and potential insurances that may provide benefits.

These are all reasons to call and have questions answered by an attorney that understands bicycle accidentsautomobile and motorcycle accidents in MelbournePalm BayPatrick Air Force BaseCocoa, and the beaches. If you have any questions regarding insurance coverage and auto or motorcycle accidents please do not hesitate to contact Renee L. Dial or another DKN Legal attorney at (321) 329-5449.  Press 4 for new clients.

Show Comments