You are here: Home » Family Law » Paternity


Are you the parent of a child that was born out of wedlock, and you have never established paternity in the court system?  Are you at the mercy of the other parent when it comes to seeing your child and planning activities with your child?  Have you been operating on a blind faith system with the parent of your child when it comes to child support and timesharing?  If so, in order to protect your parental rights and the rights of your child, you first need to file a Petition to Establish Paternity in your county’s circuit court (see Fla. Stat. §742.011).  Once Paternity has been established by the court, the court will then be able to address timesharing (AKA visitation) and child support.

Establishing paternity through the court system is especially important for fathers of children born out of wedlock, because the mother of a child born out of wedlock is the natural guardian of the child.  Thus, before paternity has been established, the mother can essentially do as she pleases with your child, including leaving the state.

If you need assistance in establishing paternity for your child or children, please call us at 321-329-5449 ext 6 to schedule a consultation.

Show Comments